Thursday, June 17, 2010

Graphic Design I: Project 1—An Exercise in the Design Process

The past week has been an exercise in the intense, frustrating, rewarding design process. It's rewarding at the end to see how so many different ideas, approaches, and directions for one project can produce so much work. Yet, it's beyond frustrating to invest so much in a direction that ends nowhere. I think you will see what I mean when you take a look at each of the places I went trying to unearth that ever-elusive GREAT idea.

The assignment was to create a composition using flat or silhouetted objects and shapes. This is similar to the Fort Wayne project I did at the end of the Spring semester. Which actually created more of a challenge for me because I wanted to do something different with a very similar assignment.

Without further ado, here documented, are my travels through the unpredictable world of the design process. Notice any connection or relationship at all? Where do you think my brain was going? It's sort of all over the place, but you can see some similarities.

Maps 1.0:


2.0

The maps weren't doing too much for me (although I may return to them someday), so I decided to look at architecture. It just so happens I'm in close proximity to construction zone:


This also did nothing for me at first, so I went a totally whimsical direction. My prof refers to these next few pieces as my "therapy pieces" I just had to do something that I liked. Enter birds:


And universal icons:



And hand-drawn doodles turned tree (+ universal icons):


Finally, I needed something pretty. Enter my favorite product of this crazy process:


In the end, my prof felt the architecture approach showed the most promise, and encouraged me to finish it. It's still not my favorite, but I'm more pleased with version two, than version one. This is what I turned in for a grade:

My next project is typography. Stay tuned.

-Maddie